Fennel Orange Cranberry Sauce

8 ounces frozen or fresh whole cranberries
1/2 navel orange, zested
1 whole navel orange, juiced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until cranberries begin to break down and water evaporates, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before serving.

fennel seed = fennel = sweet cumin
Substitutes: anise seed OR cumin OR caraway seeds OR dill

I didn't have any fennel seed or any of the possible substitutes, but I did have some Chinese 5 spices which contains some of the herbs above, so I used that. I think it was OK substitution, but I used too much.

Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman
Show: Good Deal with Dave Lieberman
Episode: Thanksgiving For $45

No comments: